Friday 25 September 2009

Paraplegic man

I have been doing some meditating and putting myself into the story of the paralyzed man who's friends lower him through the roof to see Jesus. What has got stuck in my head is the part where Jesus says "Your sins are forgiven". This is the only time, I think, He ever forgives sins before a healing. In fact there is the story later on of the blind man and when the disciples ask if it was the man or his parents who had sinned Jesus said "Neither".
I wonder what sins this man had committed that were connected with not being able to walk? I know there are preachers/healers who can do lots of damage to someone by giving blanket statements of what infirmities are caused by what sins, of which I am sure there is some truth in it. Even those who do not believe in God the way Christians do know that people need to forgive others or they will have certain sicknesses to deal with.
But I also wonder how the man felt with it publicly being acknowledged that he couldn't walk because of some sin he had committed. I wonder too what it was that he couldn't walk. Where these friends from childhood who had stood by him when he became infirm? Had he always been like it and it was a generational sin?
His friend were amazing people to stand by him too. I knew of a guy who, interestingly had been messing with a shotgun and shot his brother's eye out and then later on had a diving accident and was paralyzed from the neck downwards. But he was the rudest, demanding person I knew and was running his family ragged and his friends had all stopped coming round because all this guy did was moan about how he couldn't do things. Interestingly it was the same paralysis as Joni Erikson Strada!!
But I just feel there was still something in this young man in the Bible story that kept his friends there. I wonder to get healing from all sorts of things do we need to just keep some sort of hope that keeps people being will to take us to Jesus? Or should we be looking for those people who are so bitter and angry with where they are and loving on them to get them to a place where Jesus can heal and forgive them?

No comments:

Post a Comment