Friday 11 September 2009

Being called by Jesus

This is off the Greenbelt tack, though I will come back to it as I have a couple of other posts I want to write, but have felt a great lack of creativity due to dealing the a teenager! Oh the joys of that. Not sure which one of us is finding it hardest, Ben or I??

I have started on meditation, as in Biblical meditation, and am going to work through the book of Mark and "get involved with the stories", so really that whole thing of reading, becoming a character in the story and then as Richard Foster suggests in "Celebrations of Disciplines" just sitting with Jesus at the end and sharing some thoughts.
Well today was the calling of Simon, Andrew, James and John. I realised as I got into really thinking of what things were like that this was a busy fishing port. It was not just these 4 young men who were there. It would've been crowded; there would've been a market there, lots of people. And yet Jesus only called these 4 young men at this moment to follow Him.
I have heard from someone else (and I think it might to Jonathon!) that there are many that are called but few that are chosen. Along the lines of many people are drawn to Jesus because God's heart is to save the whole world, but there are few that are called to be true close following disciples; few that are willing to leave everything to follow Him 100%.
During the story I felt like I was being challenged to be one of those totally called to be a disciple and to give up everything. Could I really give up my livelihood for something/someone I don't know where it will take me?
I have done this before when I joined Ywam, but it was like this time Jesus was saying was I willing to this with a husband, a safe comfortable home, and during the time when He has set for me to supervise 2 teenagers flying the nest.
I hope I am ready and I hope I do Him proud.

What was it Ezekiel said "Here I am Lord!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment