Thursday 11 March 2010

What we are letting our young people do!

I do wonder what we have let our young people become. Interestingly at the moment I am reading a book by Francine Rivers about Rome in about 75AD and again how the youth are just after pleasure and what they can get for themselves. It seems like we have allowed our young people to seek after pleasure, look to themselves and not too worry too much of what comes next, what the consequence are. But as with the observation in Francine Rivers' book it is the parents who have allowed this to happen.
As you know I work in the Citizens Advice bureau (a charity that shows people how to deal with difficulties they have got into) yesterday there were 3 young girls all with major money problems. I was only observing so cannot say anything but what I wanted to say was "what have you been spending your money on?". One girl had a £6,000 car because she needed it to get to work. In my day (oh dear here we go) we use to get cars for a few hundred pounds, and I know they are still out there because we have been looking to get another car and there are loads for not much. But also one's first car was always an old banger not bought on finance. Actually I remember a dear friend on mission who was in a muddle because she had a car on finance and her reason was "because everyone did it".
But it was the attitude of the Adviser I was working with with these young girls. Very much his thing was that these debts were not that bad, that they could get away with paying very little, and even writing the debts off.
We wonder why our economy is in a muddle when an awful lot of people are being able to get rid of their debts by paying £90. Just working the basic sums of 100 people with £10,000 worth of debt and how then that adds up.
Also why it is so easy as a person to be able to get rid of one's debts and yet there are developing countries that if they could get rid of their debts could give health care, education, etc to their people.
I will launch some more of what I have seen and heard with young people in another blog.
But the question I come back to in my head is what can I do? What can the church do? is the church doing anything? I see many young people in church with stuff. Are they in debt? I know not all are as I remember one lovely young girl who was dress making for the whole of her university course so that she wouldn't even get a student loan, which is very much an accepted part of life.
What did Jesus say about money? and our love of it? Again back to the sheep and goats - as a developed, rich country what are we doing for those little ones?

3 comments:

  1. My son has got a new car for £250 so yes some do start with less. My daughter baulks at spending a lot and is bothered about the fact she finished her nursing course (which does have a bursary) with a debt of £1800 which is not much by today's standards and I suspect the youngest will end up with quite a bit of debt but you never know he may surprise us yet.

    Tri Robinson a pastor in a Vineyard church in Idaho encourages his flock to get out of debt (http://timberbuttehomestead.com/?p=2817) by simplifying their life and I think more churches should be doing the same and leading the way in sustainable living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I do know of a few young people who do try to sort their lifestyle out to be debt free but I do not see it encouraged.
    I see too many young people, Christians too, celebrating having their AppleMac, and yes many have saved hard for them but they often do not explain that it was a long road to get there.
    Credit is too easy these days. Getting into debt too easy. And actually i am amazed how easy too it is to get rid of debts without responsibility!
    But I do know too that it isnt everyone. Good to hear of a church leaser encouraging her flock to get out of debt. Funny too how debt isn't seen as a sin like sex outside marriage and yet........

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things people find incredible is how my husband and I can afford to do what we are doing here in Latvia, working some land and living the "good life" without constantly trying to raise support and one of the reasons is that we have not got any debt and have been careful with money for so long. Many people would love to do what we are doing but can't because they are saddled with debts. We even paid off our mortgage just over a year ago. It is a great freedom to not have to work to pay off debts.

    ReplyDelete