Monday 18 May 2009

What Makes Christians Different?

....and why should we be different? I put that in as I start as I do wonder if I am on about attracting people to me, to church, to becoming a Christian or to Jesus. And maybe it depends on where we are coming from in this what we think and see. And in fact if someone does come to wanting to put Jesus as Lord, of ruler, of their lives then actually they become part of the Church, part of His Bride, whether they like it or not and whether they go to an organised church or not!!

I heard recently about how we should be united as "church" because then people would know that we were from God and I am not doubting that this is a part. But I know I have been in groups that are not Christian where I have felt a great sense of unity, and I have been in Christian groups where there isn't any unity.
We were discussing this the other day and one suggestion was that as Christians we should be more exemplary at keep the law of the land than others. And again this is very true and very much a part of what we should be. But again I know many people who do not know Jesus who are honest and upright, who keep the laws of the land, who care for others and care for this planet.

I remember an atheist lady that aparently I challenged her views not by anything I said but because when I talked about God I talked like He was real! Which of course He is :)
And I think that is what makes the difference. We need to know deep in our hearts that we have a God who is totally real, who is there for us and has given us a point and a purpose to life, who made this whole universe and this planet and loves us with such passion. He also trust us. Jesus says he no longer calls us servants but friends (I have blogged on this elsewhere of how we still often see ourselves as servants not friends of God).

There is a great line that Spook's mum says to him in Star Trek (a great movie that I want to try to get into every blog for a while, though may have to see if for a 2nd time!!) when he has a hard decision to make and she says "I want you to know that whatever decision you make you make your mother proud". I think this is what God is like with us, that He has planted His DNA in us and He knows that when faced with decisions we will hear that still small voice and make the right decision. But you know what even if we don't He'll still think we are totally awesome and that we made that decision with the right heart, which really was all that He wants from us and was what got King David called a "man after God's own heart!"

Maybe Spook made the wrong decision but the decision he made puts him in the place that where he can save at least some of those of his culture!! Oh and I could expand on this more!!!

Let us take into our hearts that God trust us to make our own decisions but the more we spend time hanging out with Him, the more we get His DNA into our veins, the more He knows that whatever decision we make it will make Him proud.
Hey He's our Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment