Tuesday 5 May 2009

We need theology

I have had a desire to learn more theology but at times some of the church traditions God has taken me though have been very reluctant to open up on that, and in others the congregation is just too lazy and only wants to listen to the man at the front.

We need the theory and the theology to be able to sort out what the Christian world view is, and then to be able to go out with confidence and power into the places that many Christians are afraid to enter because they have not taken time out to study and have not established a true Christian worldview.
I am so excited that at Sheffield the other weekend, I was able to come across people, scholars and theologians, who have this same worldview that I picked up when I first got to know Jesus and have had it rattled more by Christians than by others.
Interestingly meeting these people, reading this stuff in "Living at the Crossroads" I am now eager to study, eager to really study my Bible. Its like for a while I had picked up a belief that if you studied too much you could lose your faith, or even that I would have to see things differently, but it seems that studying with the Holy Spirit, which still means the whole concordances, commentaries, histories, dictionaries, etc, none of these will squash the Holy Spirit, but will in fact deepen one's faith.

Funny how we have so separated this out and yet there was that prophecy years ago that said that until the Spirit and The Word are in harmony Jesus cannot come again. We have taken that to mean all sorts, like that fact that word based congregations need to move in the gifts of the Spirit or that charismatic congregations need to have the man at the front reading more scripture. But I now see that for this to happen each individual Christian needs to come into really moving in the Spirit, which will also mean only doing what they see God telling them to do, and also will all need to truly know their Bible, and from that the true Christian worldview of how amazing God is.

If one knows the Word fully then one can truly walk in the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment