Sunday 7 December 2008

Forgiveness

This word "forgiveness" has been buzzing round me with a lot at the moment. Tabi and I watched Heroes in iplayer and in that Slayer and El come to peace with each other when he forgive her and gets her to forgive herself. Then on Dr Who, a rerun on iplayer, The Doctor says to The Master "I forgive you" and that has so much power. On both these occasions forgiveness changed things.

Do we do enough of it as Christians? There has been an incident recently that I almost got caught up in between Christians and really it all came down to not wanting to forgive that things hadn't gone their way.

Also I don't often see us as Christians repenting. In fact I will quote from my dear friend David Mitchell which he posted on Facebook -
"If I will humble myself...
I hear so much about grace and so little about repentance these days. It seems that, at all costs, we are encouraged to seek other remedies besides calling sin, “Sin”, therefore, we never really repent and opportunities to do so in a church setting are neglected."

Why are we so afraid to repent? and to forgive - others, ourselves and God?
Does it mean admitting we have done something wrong? And admitting we have been hurt?
Do we talk too much about Grace that we do forget that we so sin and we do get hurt?

We have the amazingness of being able to be totally honest with God, and if we fear God and not man and can be honest with God then we can be honest with others. And if we do it God's way then that honesty, repentance, forgiveness will all be done with Grace.

Another quote from another dear friend across the "pond" Chickie Taylor:
"There is a struggle going on in my heart at the moment. It's like nothing is satisfying my soul these days except for the very basic christian things. I can't seem to get excited about anything but the message of God's love."
Hey now if that was all we were really excited about we would change the world.

Bring it on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment