Tuesday 9 December 2008

Believe in what you teach

I have been getting so many revelations every time I rehear the Christmas story that I am just so pleased we get to hear it once a year. In fact it must be the only part of the Bible we get to hear year in and year out. Though I know it depends on which congregations we are at which bit we rehear, or for that matter what we choose to reread.
What I love too about the Bible is because it is a living book, and if we read it and let His Holy Spirit guide us He can keep showing us more and more in it.
Last year it was that Elizabeth let Zechariah sleep with her after he was deaf and also that they were both old people.
This year it is that Zechariah himself didn't believe the stories he taught. Remember he was a priest in the temple and one of his duties would've been to teach the young boys the stories of thier forefathers. They took seriously the command to tell their children the stories of old. But one of those stories would've been about Abraham and Sarah and how God gave them a child when they were old. Now an angel comes along and tells Zechariah that the same thing will happen to him and he can't believe it. So can't believe it that he is struck dumb!!!
How often do we tell others things about God that if it came down to it we wouldn't believe He could do for us???
I think this comes with helping us to dream bigger and to trust God more.
For me it has helped loads because I have heard lots of things, esp recently that God has been saying to me, but I cannot see quite how He can pull it off, but then all these things are things He has done for others, and things I would expect Him to do.
So now I need to believe what I have been teaching to others and wait and be willing like Mary was for God to do what He is going to do His way. And remember with Mary she was willing to let God do something that wasn't recorded in scripture as ever having happened to anyone else.
Now I need to prepare myself to be willing to let Him do that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment