Wednesday 4 November 2009

Book Suggestions!!

Oh the perfect morning! Everyone is out and I have had an hour eating breakfast and catching up on reading blogs. Brilliant! I love the tranquility of an empty house and, now with Ian working from home, I don't get it very often. Before he worked from home of course I was home schooling and so didn't get that space either. So this is like a little gift for me.

I also wonder how many people have been in this place? I have started to get to that age when one wakes in the night, some of it is because someone is moving around, or because I am thinking of things, but often it is just because. Anyway over the last few days I have been reading John Eldridge's Walking With God, which I borrowed from a friend who can only get to page 85 every time. Anyway I plugged on with it.
He is very into spiritual warfare and of how we must keep looking to what is going on in our lives and be prepared to take on those evil spirits, and that actually waking in the night is not just one of those things, or part of getting old, but is a demonic attack.
So there am I led away in the night and this thought that this is demonic comes to me. Oh yes he also says that we let these things in (something I do understand from having done spiritual warfare) and so we have to look for the opening in ourselves and also look to see what has been allowed into the house. Well here is me with 2 teenagers who go off out into the world and to be honest at the moment I am not sure how deep their walk with God is and how much "care" they take of what they bring home. And actually a husband who is more into working than looking for demons! So I am led awake trying to work out what has come into the house, and coming up with loads and loads and loads of things, of feeling condemned, of wondering where to start - a bit like when you've let the housework go on too long and it all needs doing at once - and fussing and panicking and trying to remember what was said in the book. Oh a mess!
Eventually I just gave the whole lot to God and let Him deal with it. Not quite what the book said, but very much the only way to get a good night's sleep.

I just wonder though how often the enemy isn't actually attacking us but is using things that say he could be to attack us. Oh my was the thing that I "let into the house" actually John Eldridge's book :)

1 comment:

  1. My Ian is also often at home which for me is a shock to the system as I had the house to myself for many years once my home ed time had finished.

    I am quite a heavy sleeper but there are times I do wake but I wouldn't say they are always a demonic attack, sometimes it is just my brain processing some of the many issues that I am dealing with, whether that is grappling with a study related topic, or wondering what to do for our kids or life issues that come up from time to time. I also think that sometimes it is God that wakes me up and gets me praying for someone. There have been occasions when I felt it was demonic and that comes with the feeling of something not being right, if it is someone on my mind then I pray, if it is just a sense of oppression then like you I hide under God's wings and let it go.

    ReplyDelete