Tuesday 24 November 2009

Justice

Here are some thoughts I had from last Sunday's meeting. We were at our old congregation as Tabi is still on the production team rota. I am not sure if these thoughts are related to anything that was said or just where God has me at the mo.

Jesus call is to justice to all. A part of the ancient ways is to protect the widows and orphans and the poor and needy. How can I do that? When Jesus comes back to will He find His people wanting because we thought more of cheap i-pods, clothes, food, etc, of having enough, rather than really looking and caring for those who don't have enough?
I watched "Spooks" on Saturday night on iplayer and on it the 8 most powerful people in the world who control the majority of the world's wealth get kidnapped and tried. A lot of what they showed was true of what goes on with multinationals, about villages being destroyed due to treatments works being put upstream of their water supply so we can get cheaper goods; wars being encouraged to keep the price of certain minerals down. And the guy who was funding this was a rich Russian guy who was actually saying that the status quo needed to change even though the way things were was easier for him to make money.
I could so understand where he was coming from and where the protester guy had got to. I know being judge, jury and executioner is wrong but there is such a mass of awful things out there and great organizations too where does one start?

So where should one start on the road to justice? How do we know what to buy? What to do? Where we should go?
It seems that there are at times these 2 extremes of either taking the law into one's own hands or of sitting back and just pretending it isn't going on. I think for me with this whole major change of no longer being needed so totally at home that I want to make sure this phase of my life is more impacting on the world than the phase before I had children. Oh how I wasted that bit.
I can't go and change the past but I can change the future but I want to change other people's futures as well as my own

3 comments:

  1. Funny how I think we are tracking the same path. I put something along the same lines in my blog too this week. We make a point of shopping as locally as we can. Supermarket is always at the local one as the nearest big ones are 30miles away at least, we use the local butcher, even the local joiner and machinist. I guess one thing we are really blessed with in Latvia is the ability to make something work by cobbling something together - an art lost in many homes in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think we could have a great time if we were close enough to drink coffee together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that would be fun, maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete