Wednesday 23 June 2010

Made to feel Welcome

This week I am in the chorus of a local amateur dramatic production of King Lear. Tabi has been in it for a while and asked me to join with her this time.I have found this group to be warm, welcoming, friendly, supportive and accepting of all. We are a team.
I also help with the Citizens Advise Bureau (CAB). I have found this group to be warm, welcoming, friendly, supportive and accepting of all. In both these groups I don't feel like the new girl, though in both I am one of the least experienced and with a potential for screwing it all up. In fact at dress rehearsal last night I did because we are wearing masks and I am almost blind under mine as I have to take my glasses off. Instead of people saying I shouldn't do this everyone has made sure I am looked after and cared for. I did need to make my needs know but felt like I was in a safe place to do that.

I have been in Christian groups that have been warm, welcoming, friendly, supporting and accepting of all, who have picked up those who were struggling and made sure they were part of the team. But I have also been in Christian groups where that does not happen.
Until recently I thought I had a problem with authority as I can get quite fearful around certain leaders and I have done all my inner heal pray with that but still had that fear. Last night I realised I was being open and talking to the director about my sight problem without a stutter and without fear. Also at CAB I was having a laugh and a chat with someone who is very much in a senior position here.
So do I have a problem with leadership or is it to do with the fact of the way the leader is?

As I think more and more about dechurching and what comes next I hope that I can get to be part of a team, build a team, that can be warm, welcoming, friendly, supporting and accepting and going somewhere. I want to say of course this will happen with God at the centre but both the AmDram group and CAB do not have God at the centre. But they do have confidence in what they are doing and trust in their cast/team. I pray that for all congregations this will happen because actually with God at the centre us Children of God should be able to do this with even more warmth, welcomingness, friendliness, support and acceptance.... But also with a huge dose of love :)

2 comments:

  1. Very true, huge dose of love, grace and humility. By the way, I LOVE your background theme!

    ReplyDelete