Saturday 26 June 2010

A Dog Example

This week as well as the usual stuff we are walking a friend's dog whilst she is a nurse at Glastonbury music festival.

I find dogs amazing. This dog totally adores his owner but now when we go for a walk he follows me. I have become the new top dog to be followed. I have been reading about the change that comes over us when we start to accept Jesus and follow Him, of how we go from following our own path to following Him. And I think often we can be like dogs where, even though at times it looks like we might have gone off for a wander on our own in fact we are just having a sniff about to see what is around, doing our own thing, but in the end we know how is the one who wants to be with us and so we, eventually, go back to following who we are meant to be with. The dogs always know, even when they have gone off to play with each other, just who they belong to and who to follow home.

It gives me courage when I think of both my children, who both have made that move to follow Jesus and yet at times at the moment look as if they have forgotten who they are following. Using the dog example either one day they will lift their heads up from where they are sniffing and remember or He will call them and they will come scampering.

3 comments:

  1. On a day when one of mine should have been arriving for a month and decided not to that was encouraging to read Diane. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother always used to say 'You have to let them go in order to keep them!' I think people will always go back to where they know they are truly loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what we hope for Mavis, we really do and also our philosophy too

    ReplyDelete