Wednesday 30 June 2010

Faith Filled Church

Whatever do we mean by this expression? Just recently I have had people coming to me to try to persuade me to come to "their church" and the main thing that each of them tell me is that their congregation is Biblically based and faith filled!!! Some even mention that it is "really following The Lord".

You know I am really pleased for each and everyone of them. I just hope they are in the place God wants them to be not because that for the moment the person in charge is saying what they would like to hear.

I remember when I moved to N.Ireland and decided to look for a church where one could feel the Holy Spirit moving in. Well we went to Presbyterian, Baptist, Church of Ireland, New church, Pentecostal, and more. The biggest problem was that when one waited and listened one could hear/feel the Holy Spirit moving in each one of them. And actually given free reign in most of them but in the style to which each person denomination was comfortable in.

Ok yes I know we can all say we have seen the Holy Spirit quenched, stopped from moving, but I often wonder if that is because there are people who have come because that place at one time suited their needs, that they would say it was "faith filled" and yet now the teaching has moved on to something that isn't what they want to hear and so they squash things from moving. I'm sure there are loads of theories why at times it feels like the Holy Spirit isn't moving and I know as I made Christian friends in N.Ireland that they would tell me that Holy Spirit wasn't moving in certain places but I can only say what I got from God on my 1st impression of entering many buildings.

I think really we need to see the whole gamete of the different congregations like a diamond. A diamond only shines so wonderfully when it has many polished sides. If it doesn't have the many sides then actually it is a piece of glass. It is the way the light catches all the different facets of the diamond that made it so beautiful and as it moves so the way it reflects the light changes and can be awe-inspiring.

So why can't we let all those other denominations, small groups, simple churches, high churches, etc shine the light of Jesus in the way He wants and all join together so that the rest of the world just gasps in wonder?

3 comments:

  1. I think the problem is that many church-goers think that their denomination has the truth and others don't. Some do believe that all have a place and are part of the whole but deep down still feel that their particular expression has more truth than the others and is better, when really it boils down to going where you FEEL better or where you FIT IN more.

    God is so much bigger than any individual expression of His Body. So why, oh why, oh why, do we insist on limiting Him to OUR personal preferences.

    Paul Leader (on Martin Scott's blog at http://3generations.eu/blog ) writes a very interesting article on similar lines of their being only one head - JESUS.

    Jesus didn't set up an organisation - He journeyed with some mates! Sadly we get so lost in the organisation at times that we forget to journey with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here, Diane (and Mavis)!
    The world gasping in wonder at the lives of Christ's followers is surely what we are called to. A beautiful and tough calling.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. I whole heartedly agree. People who love Jesus regardless of style and tradition are beautiful and have hope. xc

    ReplyDelete