Thursday 11 February 2010

Conversation overheard on the bus

Once a fortnight I do this mega bus trip, an hour and 40 mins on the bus! Anyway there I am reading Martin Luther King's autobiography and crying and wondering if I would've been brave enough to stand with them, do I stand with the oppressed and hurting, and just taking a pause from reading to wonder about my own state of concerned-ness when I over hear this conversation of this young teenage lad on his mobile.

A rough transcript "I'm coming in on the bus now. Are you going to be there? Well I've got to sort out my overdraft first. You'd better be there as I've got you a birthday present! £450 of it! Can't say much as I'm on the bus, but let's just say there is so much there we can shovel it up like snow. Get what I mean! I've paid £100 down payment but need to get the rest sorted soon. Should just get us really wrecked!"

So the gist seems to be that the boy has got himself overdrawn to buy £450 worth of cocaine so him and this mate, who didn't seem to be really sorting himself out to come round, could get wasted!

Does make you wonder what the world is coming to! I prayed for him. I wasn't brave enough to turn round and say anything. Though not quite sure what I would've said. When he got off he looked about my Ben's age. Where were his family in all this?
More prayer for our young men I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment