Sunday 24 January 2010

Sheep

Should we just follow the shepherd's voice or should we be checking with the other sheep that they are hearing the same thing? Is it better to move hoping that its His voice or stay back checking and double checking with others as to whether it was Him or not? We have a friend who is often saying "the Lord told me...." and going and sometimes it is into some bizarre situations that I do wonder if it is Him or not who told her, but we also have a friend who never does anything unless they've had it confirmed by a lot of people. Which is right? Or rather which does God delight in more? Because I do think that is the question rather than right or wrong. I often wonder if God delights more in our stepping out and maybe not doing "the right thing" more than He delights in us being cautious and fearful of man.

As for the sheep and checking with the flock, surely the only way that we will know we are part of the same flock is because we are all following the same voice, following the same master shepherd not because the sheep are always communicating with each other. Perhaps one of the biggest problems with community, with congregation, is that there is too much checking all are on the same page and not enough checking what the Shepherd is saying. So often we miss what Jesus wants because we are too busy chattering in the flock.

I have been learning a bit about hearing lately because I have tinnitus and the reason I hear it so much is that my brain prioritizes that sound over other sounds and it has got me to wondering how often we prioritize other voices over the voice of the Lord. The example of the shepherd Jesus gave was of a middle eastern shepherd who was constantly singing and talking to his sheep so they always knew where to go. I think because He used this example this is what He is always doing with us and why Paul said we were to pray continuously - prayer being a jargon word for 2 way communication with God - because God is always wanting to be in communication with us. But we have gone and put the sound of God's voice on low priority in our brains and put the voice of man, the voice of the world on high priority.

Interestingly too I have been learning that once a sound is in that priority place, either high or low, it takes a lot of work to alter that which is why, maybe its easier to follow the sheep we can see that the God we can't.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely some questions we are wading through and one thing I have learnt to value are friends who I know will listen to Jesus' voice on our behalf and help us to pray through decisions. We have also learnt the value of waiting for God's timing in things, just because he says "go" does not necessarily mean right now. Somethings need to be built towards. We also wrestle though with missing things because we haven't responded to the "now" words

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting and thought-provoking post, Diane. I think that both can be right at different times. Sometimes we need to listen to the opinions and thoughts of others and at other times we need to just go with it - it being what we believe God is saying to us.

    As you say about being in congregation and singing from the same page, it can be a hindrance I think because we ARE all at different places spiritually and what God is saying to me He probably is not saying to others. At least not to a whole congregation. Having said that, I appreciate having good friends who are very spiritually aware with whom I can share what I'm experiencing and ask for their prayers and advice.

    I think it boils down to each one of us being obedient to what God is saying to us as an individual and as Joanna says doing what He says when He says and not when we think is the right time. We might know what we need to do but must do it only in His timing and in His way.

    ReplyDelete