Tuesday 10 August 2010

Humility

I've been having an interesting chew over on this one after recently my other half has been told he's humble on 2 different occasions. Now I am not saying he isn't but I did realise that the suggestion of him being humble is that he is quiet, thinks a lot before he speaks and is quite wise, on the whole, when he does speak. Very cool but is this really what humble is? Are those of us who seem to speak quickly not humble? Very much we are often not seen as humble by others.

I was looking up what humble meant in a recent Bible study I was doing about Jesus who was the most humblest person ever but He was quick to speak, often put people in their place, though I know too that what He said was the right thing to say too.

So after much prayer, thought, chewing over whilst doing other things, the conclusion I have come to is that being humble means being totally reliant on God, knowing that with God we can do all things but without Him we are nothing. Its not about being quiet and not doing things, of sitting meekly in the corner, it is about being bold enough to step out there and be and do knowing how great our God is and how much He wants to do with us.

Wonder if I'm right? But I know I'm going to keep on working on learning to rely on Him.

2 comments:

  1. Humbleness to me is when someone does not consider anyone else below him/her but sees the uniqueness of God in all mankind. Few people I know seem to be able to convey this perspective truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Two verses come to mind.

    1.Paul writing to the Romans (12v3) 'Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought'. He then goes on to write about all being part of one body, though having different gifts and purposes.
    2. Again Paul writing this time to the Philippians (2v3)'Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit but in humility consider others better than yourselves' then goes on to write that wonderful passage about the humiulity of Christ emptying Himself of everythig except love for humanity.

    Very difficult to live!

    ReplyDelete