Thursday 22 April 2010

UK Elections

I was praying about the elections this morning and had some thoughts

There is all this talk about how really there are only 2 parties, Labour and Conservative, and that a vote for LibDems is a tactical vote. It is interesting to note that only 100 years ago the Labour party was in its infancy and was seen as a bit odd and radical. And yet it was made up of people who were passionate about what they believed in, had principles they were going to fight and die for and so by the end of the Second World War they are strong enough to be voted into power and to implement the principles they had so diligently fought for for the last 50 years or more.

I was told on Monday that Clement Attlee, the 1st majority Labour prime minister in 1945, stuck to his principles of a health service for all, housing for all and education for all even though Britain had a huge debt falling the Second World War. He believed that to go through with what he had promised the people and had been voted in for was the important principle. Do we have politicians like that now? Do we have political parties like that now?

I was also led on to pray for those Christians that I know who are standing for parliament this time with the major parties. I do not know why they have chosen them and not gone for being part of the Christian party, but I do believe they have chosen the harder route. We need to be praying that these people can stick to their God given principles even if the parties they have felt led by God to stand with may not be so committed.

And maybe too we need to be praying for our young people, those who were part of the Wilberforce Academy in Oxford in April this year, those doing politics and law degrees, those feeling a calling to human rights, politics, etc whether Christian or not to be able to be passionate about things, to have principles and to be able to stick to them.

1 comment:

  1. I am actually encouraged that Christians are getting into the different political parties rather than a "Christian" party. I think that demonstrates the purpose of salt or yeast which are at their best working their way through many areas to bring out flavour or to make something rise up. My spell in the US made me realise that those on the right can make some things work, it challenged my left leaning tendencies. I would still prefer a more left of centre approach but I can see that with compassion a right of centre approach can work too. No one system is perfect but will always be better for wise leaders who are listening to God's leading. In many walks of life there is more than one road to take, taking the narrow road approach has been over used and abused. So I say it is time to get out of our cloisters and start actually engaging with the world and the gates of Hell will not prevail :o) I will get down off my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete