Wednesday 23 December 2009

Jesus come unexpectantly

I am reading in some wonderful Christmas letters from some great out-there people and the reoccurring theme is that Christmas is the time when Jesus came unexpectedly and that is what we should be looking for not just for this season of December but for every part of the year. Interestingly this must be something God is wanting to say to me because I also read it in "Honey cakes and Silence" by Rowan Williams, Arch Bishop of Canterbury.
So I've set off with looking for Jesus coming unexpectedly as I go around. Monday the weather was snow but no ice. A quick thank you to God. But then it got better! On our river for the 3 years I've been living here there has been a lone Canadian goose. Well Monday morning I could hear him honking and really going for it. When I saw him on the river there was another Canadian goose with him and it was like, yes for him Christmas had come. He'd got the best present ever, a mate to be with and wasn't he letting the rest of us know about it. I was then spoiled to see a robin washing in the snow on the path in front of me. Hey why am I not so delight that Jesus has come to be honking like crazy like that goose? Why do I stay quiet? Perhaps I have forgotten how great He is and how much I need Him?

There is so much stuff we have forgotten about the Christmas story, so much about Western life that we have got complacent about, so much we expect "them" to sort out, and forget about all those other places there "they" mean terror.
I'm praying regularly with Open Doors monthly prayer letter and that brings me back to things about how lazy we are here about getting excited by Jesus. You know we can shouting it from the roof tops, honk like crazy like my goose, without getting into trouble, and yet there are people in certain countries who are going out where they could get killed telling other about Jesus, being bold enough to follow Him when it could mean death.
I am hoping to spend some time reflecting on how I can really get my head round just how great it is to have that total, forever companion in Jesus

Hey and I love the way God takes my fingers when I type. I did want to do a whole thing on some of the historical things of Christmas as I did with the 25th Dec last time and wanted to do with Carols, Shepherd, etc but He had other plans. Maybe too these blogs and what He uses to talk to me :>

No comments:

Post a Comment