Saturday 30 October 2010

Medicines

Another chance for a quick blog before starting back to college on Monday!!

This time I've been thinking about how we in the West view healing and medicines. I have seen how the British health service has taken my father-in-law and step father and treated each of their ailments as individual ailments but never as holistic. And yet as Christians we are happy to send someone to the local hospital after we've prayed for healing for them if nothing happens. But to suggest sending someone to a herbalist, who deals in holistic medicine and how may or may not be a Christian is seen as wrong. We seem to put our trust in the trained professionals whether doctors or preachers. Again I find that if I, in certain places, were to stand up and preach, prophecy, whatever, I would be asked where I got my training from and if I said just from God I could be looked as askance.
I am not saying that we go to untrained herbalists or acupuncturists or other types of alternative healers, but I am also saying that not all doctors are Christians and so maybe we should not put so much trust in them as we do.
Perhaps again we need to go back to trusting God and asking Him what His plan is for our healing!!

1 comment:

  1. Having lived a number of years in a (so called) 3rd world country and not being able to afford visits to doctors or buy medicine from a pharmacy for small problems, I learned many herbal remedies which I used (and some I still do!) I found it rather strange coming back to the UK when especially evangelicals were so against anything that wasn't from a doctor's prescription. Personally. I found it rather peculiar that Christians who put their trust in God and say they believe in His provision for our well being, don't seem to know or want to learn how to use His creation for our good.

    I think that sometimes in order to not become embroiled with dodgy alternative treatments or new age ways, we can be guilty of 'throwing out the baby with the bathwater' so to speak.

    ReplyDelete