Tuesday 27 July 2010

Dilemmas

Dilemmas are interesting things to have to deal with. I have just come back from only the one day at New Wine, a huge Anglican based week long conference, based in a field near where we live. Its interesting that we have never been there before, even though it happens every year and is only 40 mins drive from our house. Probably the reason. Have you noticed how we also like to do mission in places that are not on our doorstep too?

I have been a bit challenged by God on a few personal things recently and realise that the congregation I went to last Sunday does speak a lot about getting oneself right with God and going from there, which is a great place to start, but the talks we heard yesterday, on the whole, were much more about doing, getting out there, justice.

I love the 24-7 ethos that speaks of prayer, mission and justice though am still trying to work out how that works in the world that I live in. It would be great to have some like minded people on board but as yet God has not revealed them.
So my dilemma at the moment is to try to work out what it is God wants, not just for me but for us all. Not the whole world but us as a family which with Ben and Tabi growing up looks very different every day almost.

I would love to buy a big house and fill it full of children in some deprived part of the country. I would love to start a Simple organic church here in my home and release people into who God has called them to me not to just fit the mold. I would love to go abroad on an internship but the ones I like seem to want graduates. I am about to embark on a course that will open doors to go into university.

Sometimes you see and hear people who's lives are just so sorted and it seems all so straight forward. I wonder if that is true?

So as I wrestle with my dilemma I may not blog so much, but then I may use this as a space to voice what I feel and then see what feedback I get.

God really does want us to be involved with Him in justice and setting people free. In fact He says so very clearly in Isaiah 58 and 61 amongst other places. Someone said recently that there are more mentions of justice issues in the Bible than being born again and yet so many congregations labour more on making sure everyone is born again than walking justly.

How do we do this in the places God has placed us? in the families He has given us to protect and release? the partners He has given us to love and cherish? the neighbourhoods where we are now?

4 comments:

  1. This post deserves a thoughtful answer, believe me, I am working through similar issues re justice. I will get back to you very soon! I am off to New Wine on Sunday for the week, never been either, although been to similar in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who are all these people who have got their lives together? Don't believe the hype, I find there are lots of people that write the right things because otherwise they don't get sponsorship and that says as much about the sponsors as the people themselves.

    From my perspective if you don't have the justice aspect then it makes a mockery of the being born again. I have seen where the espoused values are be born again, don't smoke, don't drink but it is okay not to pay the workers - after all they are working for God aren't they? They may not be Christians but at least there work is helping the Kingdom isn't it? If they were to have faith then God will look after them, won't he? Oh it gets me mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Julie, I want to reply but want to say it properly and well.

    I totally agree with Joanna. A lot of those who seem to have it all together are often carried along by others who support them and just seem to make the appropriate noises at the right time. And also on the subject of not paying workers who are doing 'God's work' I have been one of those in the past and it makes me mad also.

    It is so true Diane about going somewhere on a 'mission'. It is often what God IS asking us to do. But we tend to put it in a superior category to the mundane, everyday living where we are. To the point that in some hierarchical systems of 'church', if you have worked abroad, that places you higher up the hierarchical ladder. In some cases Jesus sent people back to their towns and villages to show there what a difference He had made in their lives. On other occasions He sent the disciples out on mission. But we musn't make the mistake of thinking that one is more important than the other. They are both equally important parts of God's plan at different times for different people. His plan is for the whole world. All are important to Him.

    There is need of the Gospel everywhere. I see that where I now live among those in social housing. You cannot always know what goes on in peoples' lives. That's why relationships are SO important. I love where the Bible says 'He lived among us' His name was Emmannuel - God with us! And I guess that's what it's about - being His presence where we are. Oh I could go on... ...!!

    I think we need to meet up again and chat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Look forward to what you have to say when you get back from New Wine Julie.

    I think by sorted I meant those who at least for now know where they are going. I have friends who do seem to, for the season they are in, know where they are meant to be living and what they are meant to be doing and are connected to a congregation, fellowship of friends, who encourage and support them on this journey. I think I'm just exploring about finding a few people who might just get where I'm coming from and who live close to me. Though through pushing a couple of doors it looks like just maybe.........

    Mavis it would be great to meet up. At the moment it feels like someone has stolen my summer. My diary is totally full up but email me some dates you're free and we can see what we can do!!!!

    D X

    ReplyDelete