Thursday 5 November 2009

Writing in the Sand by Thomas Moore

After a bit of facetious blog about John Eldridge's book yesterday which in places is very good about listening to God in fact, I have started an amazing book - Writing in the Sand by Thomas Moore, which is much more on my wavelength.
I am not sure what translation of the Bible this comes from but for me it sums up how I feel about my walk with Jesus -
From Matthew 10:7-8 "As you walk around let people know that the kingdom of heaven has come. Take care of the sick, waken the lifeless, get to the root of suffering and banish the demonic"
To me that is it in a nutshell and makes me know too that I can do this. Not everyone we pray for gets healed, but everyone we know who is sick needs someone to care for them. My heart really is to encourage and waken people to their dreams and to see them just live life to the full. Everyone I seem to know who is looking at the world keeps wanting to know what the root of suffering is and how we can deal with it - very much this is what I see in my daughter as she works towards her dream of being a human rights lawyer. In fact I can even see it in my son wanting to join the army. I truly can see there a desire to want to do something in his world and for now this is the only way he can see it.
Moore talks about how following Jesus isn't about trying to figure out what is right and wrong, good and evil, but of living life to the full. As Jesus said "I come to give life and life to abundance", and this is not in a hedonistic way. If we are living life to the full then we will be doing all the above and actually not doing things that are evil or bad. Ok so if we go down the hedonistic route then of course there is that danger of doing harmful, evil, wrong things but that is not what Moore means, what Jesus meant.
We have a great poem from Marianne Williamson in our bathroom that says about how if we life to our potential we actually encourage others to too. So if we could life the Jesus life to the full then that would just encourage others to want to follow Him too.
Today I think I understand what Francis of Assisi meant when he said "evangelize at all times and if necessary use words". But now I have to walk this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment