Wednesday 10 December 2008

In Difference Circumstances

It has amazed me how different I can be in different circumstances.
On Monday someone ran into my little red car whilst Ian had it parked outside where he works and has left a big dent in the back and the boot won't shut. The driver was drunk, has refused to take a breath test and was going too fast at lunchtime. Now I am very cross about it, grateful that no one got hurt, but also cross that he was drunk at lunchtime and also that he has made no effort to get in touch and even give his insurance details.
Ian was teasing me this morning that I obviously hadn't forgiven him, the driver, as I was still cross and wasn't saying nice things about him. And as I was in the shower I realised how I had changed.
Back when Ben, Tabi and I were in YWAM Scotland my car got stolen from the driveway of the house I was staying in by an underage driver who took it for a joy ride and then smashed all the windows with huge rocks writing the car off. Then I was very quick to forgive even making the Police think I was crazy when I want his address so I could let him know I had forgiven him.
So I got to thinking why was I so different now, when in a lot of other ways I have grown up more as a Christian? And what came to me then was that back in Scotland I was living in a Christian community and in fact when I told people about what had happened people were praying with me to forgive, the whole culture we were living in was much more about going into forgive others, not living with offenses, etc and also there was that accountability and discipling thing. As in my fellow Christians I was living and working with wouldn't have let me get away with not forgiving.
Yet now back in just regular church apart from Ian I don't have any group there just to encourage me to walk the walk and talk the talk. Yes we do see people regularly but because we aren't living in that same closeness, that closeness that involved all of us sharing our hearts with each other, I can keep a part of me back and not have that accountability.
And I am not saying this is the fault of "the church" whatever that may be, but I do think it is the nuclear structures we put ourselves in and the fact that we then only come out to do meeting type things because we are all too busy to really have relationships, whereas the key for what we were doing in YWAM Scotland was all about relationship.
So I will forgive this guy, not for any reason than actually because I have now made myself open on here I sort of have to, esp as I wrote on forgiveness a few days back.
In fact I also have to forgive a friend too who I have taken offense to, which may or may not have been meant to hurt, but that isn't the point. Forgiveness doesn't come with conditions and shouldn't only happen when we have others standing with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment